Wednesday 2 September 2015

Every Language is Useful

You know how sometimes in Primary, they teach the kids a song in sign language? And it's super cute and all the parents love it? I remember doing that. Unfortunately, I only remember, like, 3 words in ASL. Fortunately, one of those words is Jesus Christ. Do you see where this is going yet? Haha yesterday Sister Cunningham and I were sitting across from two men on the bus who were communicating in sign language. I really wanted to talk to them but I had no idea how to start a conversation! It took me until we were almost at our stop, but eventually I gathered up the courage to wave at one of them and make eye contact. Then I took off my nametag and showed him (I really wish I had an English one...I don't think he reads Spanish). He didn't know how to talk to me either since I obviously don't know how to sign, so he pulled out his phone and typed in 'For?' Then I signed 'Jesus Christ' and his eyes got all wide and he made a cross with his fingers and smiled. I gave him a pass-along card and he said thank you and taught Sister Cunningham how to say you're welcome and then we had to get off the bus. It was so cool!! Day made!

I have also had opportunities this week to use my French and Spanish, and the very limited knowledge I have of Mandarin and Tagalog as well. I think the next most useful language in this particular area would be Arabic. It's everywhere! And then Haitian Creole. That would come in handy too. But regardless of the language or the circumstance, I am always amazed at how the Lord is constantly preparing people to receive the Gospel. My testimony grows a little bit with every new contact we make!

The other exciting news this week is that we got bikes! The Spanish sisters had some in their apartment that they didn't use. I've kind of decided that you haven't lived until you've ridden a bike in a skirt. Every day is a new adventure as a missionary!

Sister Shaver

No comments:

Post a Comment