Monday 15 February 2016

Tuba players need to repent.

I don't have too much to say about this week. It was a good week. We had a zone training meeting (my first as a sister training leader), went on an exchange with two sisters who used to live in the same apartment as me (so it was really really good), taught the lesson in Relief Society about adversity (which went very well), had our quarterly individual interviews with our mission president, and otherwise went about regular missionary activities. There were a lot of really funny moments; running away from a house we just heart-attacked and setting off the automatic light (we're not sneaky), making my companion a cookie (just one...), and... well, actually, I forgot most of them! Oh, but we heard some really good excuses for why people couldn't talk to us this week. My favourite was an elderly woman who came to the door and said, "Oh, I can't talk to you. I'm busy - my husband's in the shower. I have to go see him." ....

There were also a lot of really spiritual moments. To explain the title of this email, President Patrick was using an analogy to help us understand the sacrament. He asked an elder, "If I told you to take upon you the name of Beethoven, what would that mean to you?" Then we all brainstormed ideas like, Well, I'd have to learn his music. I'd study him. I'd have to start composing. I'd probably lose my ears because he was deaf. etc. Then President Patrick said, "Okay, well what if you don't play the harpsichord or the piano? What if you play, like, the tuba?" and without missing a beat, an elder in the back called, "You need to repent!" 

But the concept is there. When we are baptized, we covenant to take Christ's name upon us. That means we need to study Him. We need to learn His ways of doing things. We need to be like Him . We need to love Him. Think about that next time you take the sacrament. 

I love you all! Happy late Valentine's Day! Have a great week! :)

Sister Shaver

No comments:

Post a Comment